Merry Pier is named after Captain Kenneth B. Merry, a resident of Pass-a-Grille since 1900. Captain Merry lived in Pass-a-Grille for 83 years.
The pier has been an important part of Pass-a-Grille since 1902 when the Merry family opened a general store on the end of the dock that he and his wife built at the end of 8th Avenue. It was the first store on the Gulf Beaches and originally sold bait and tools and rented boats, eventually adding groceries.
Now owned by the City of St. Pete Beach and operated by Merry Pier Partners, LLC. Today the pier is a popular fishing spot for visitors and the locals with well stocked bait and tackle shop. A fresh fish market has been added and the store provides a convenient and reliable stop for snacks, drinks, picnic supplies and souvenir items. Fishing rods and bicycles are available for rent.
The dock is a great place to just hang out and enjoy the variety of birds and marine life that visit us every day.